

Marulan Quarry Project
Community Consultative Committee
Seventh Meeting, Thursday 06 May 2021
6.30pm-8.30pm Marulan Community Hall

Minutes of the meeting – FINAL DRAFT

Attendees

Present

Ian Colley (Independent Chair)
Vergilio Serra (Global Quarries)
Jeff Egan (Global Quarries)
Ankeedo Esho (Minute taker)
Graeme Dally
Wendy Dally
Shane Hill
Darryl Pearson
Don Angelosante
Bill Kenchington

Apologies

Stephanie Mowle could not attend today, and George Emerzidis did not confirm

6:30pm Meeting Commences

Wendy: Presented an Acknowledgement to Country noting the close relationship of this area with the Gundungurra people.

(The group was invited to do a round of introductions, given there were a couple of new faces)

Jeff Egan: I'd like to introduce myself, as a community engagement consultant, GQ have engaged me to manage the community consultation process moving forward. I don't want to restart the communication process but to build on it and improve it. I'm here tonight to listen and get your feed back and how to move forward.

Bill: noted concern about the lack of notice for confirmation of this meeting.

Ian: My apologies for that. I did email early notice of the rescheduling back in March , but my confirmation email note didn't get sent. I think I only confirmed with Graeme back in April but didn't get that notice out to the full committee. My apologies again.

Acceptance of Minutes

Ian: Minutes from the last meeting were posted out a long time ago

Graeme: A few corrections - page 3 bottom of page 3, top of page 4, Bill should be Shane

Ian: is everyone comfortable with the minutes from last time?

(Minutes were approved)

Action items

Ian: Action update: I'll just go through them and you can give us an update on them, first action was for GQ to address the shooting (Meeting 1, action 4)

Vergilio: Bill had requested something from last meeting, which was what is our leased land, look at the last sheet, Pink area is leased by us, the rest of the area is owned by the owner of the land unfortunately we can only control. I have also highlighted the Crown lands

Don: crown land is 7001?

Vergilio: yes that's correct

Don: went in there and put a yellow mark on there

Shane: so no one trespasses

Virgilio: by all means you can walk in there because it is not owned by us

Shane: just with the shooting we find them in 26 25 and 23 and around those areas,

Darrell: it has ceased

Virgilio: I can only do anything about it when it's in the pink area

Vergilio: For Meeting 1 action 6 on sharing the Environment Impact Statement reports, I have spoken to the director, he has agreed to 1 week prior to submission.

Ian: when are you expecting it to come out?

Vergilio: it is looking like November at this point.

Wendy: it's been two years! That's almost three years now and its very frustrating, the professionalism is really bad, its planning, how can you or GHD not be doing it.

Vergilio: the actual project scope is large, we didn't allocate enough time, unfortunately we do get road bumps. These things is what delays the projects. Right now, we are in the design process and there are always new studies that we have to do that may require us to move things around, we are moving forward but it slower than we wished.

Wendy: it is putting a lot of mental stress on everyone, we got things you're doing and were just waiting. So we just research, and we know everything about quarries, even sand quarries so we

know a lot more info about them, and now its making us more concerned about quarries. Theres no book for dummies, nothing. You guys have money, we only have us. We have nothing but what you guys put in. You haven't even informed us about the environment that is endangered, you won't give us a little info about what to do about the koalas and the spotted quoll. Those little things put us offside, if you gave us answers then we can be on your side. That's what I thought this meeting was going to be. I don't any confidence that you will look after the environment or become a part of our community.

Graeme: the mental stress that comes with this because it's been 6 times that you said you'll give us information.

Wendy: there are a lot of people that rely on us, we know that if you have a problem you've got to research and come to a conclusion.

Vergilio: that is what we're doing

Wendy: there are a lot of people on our road that don't even know where to start, we now know that it requires 50 individual submissions to State Planning regarding the EIS, but before it was 25, so it can go to the next level. We know you can't put any proformas, so we going to encourage people to make individual submissions.

Vergilio: I'm sorry I can't bring up everything you're concerned about, you outlined a lot of things In regards to the environment we need to do all the tests to allow us to put a control in.

Shane: the last meeting we had was about communications, I keep seeing people in my driveway taking photos and with sticks, everyone is looking out for each other.

Ian: let us finish the action items and dig into those updates

Virgilio: (Meeting 1, action 6) the power source is still to be determined but most likely tapped of the current power source to run machinery.

Ian: (5th meeting Action 1) the request from Graeme for GQ to come out and talk with NOW.

Vergilio: that's why we brought jeff

Wendy: I thought we already had a communication guy, he was really good.

Vergilio: Justin was not the communication guy, he was there to take minutes.

Graeme: are we going to have the submission shortly?

Ian: (5th meeting Action 2) for Vergilio to email invitation for the social impact study

Vergilio: someone had requested that at the 5th meeting, to supply with you guys the social impact study, the 47 page document, you can take that one.

Don: when you talked about the impact, have you seen the water lately. I took photos

Ian: does anyone need copies of that or I can send it out? *(it appears that people already have copies of this)*

Vergilio: myself and Jeff worked on that last week and it's still to come.

Graeme: it was actually about invitations to join the second SIA impact assessment. You were going to send me a list of names, addresses etc. GQ was going to let everyone have an input into the second Social Impact Assessment.

Ian: So this action remains incomplete

Ian: Meeting 6 Action 1 was about gaps and inconsistency in the info document

Vergilio: things will constantly get updated

Ian: Meeting 6 Action 2 on Visibility studies, is that completed?

Vergilio: no its not. we weren't actually happy with the company that was doing the visibility studies, so we will redoing that all over again

Ian: so most of the actions items are completed, but a few big pieces remain

Graeme: Karl was going to update last meeting with the bush fires

Vergilio: we are doing the bush fire assessment

Don: who is doing the bush fire assessment?

Vergilio: GHD, I can't do it myself, its sitting at 10% completed, when everything is set in stone then we can do it accordingly.

Graeme: the map you gave us with the stock piles, was to have the right hand exit marked on it as it was missing.

Vergilio: has not be done yet, but I didn't see it in the minutes

Ian: I shall add these two to the action items.

GQ update

Vergilio: we have done additional field survey where the plant will be, stockpiles, roads etc . We talked about and brainstormed the risks involved, we will also possibly reduce the pit size to increase the distance from the Hume Highway

Don: where will the water go?

Vergilio: we will recycle so it doesn't contaminate the creek, the location of the stockpiles might actually change. We are doing a flood modelling of a 100-year event cycle so we know where to put the stock pile.

Shane: can we go further than 100 do a 200-year flood test?

Vergilio: I can request that. We have also put in 2 advertisements in for Goulburn Post put in for aboriginal consultation.

Bill: can you please explain this, who authorised you to use my address on that advertisement, I want a apology from you people and I want you to fix this in the paper, since when are we having a quarry on my property?

Vergilio: I can't comment on that right now, but I will apologise.

Bill: I want a written apology from GQ.

V: I can apologies on behalf of GQ. I will take this back to GQ.

Wendy: we mentioned it to Aunty Trish, she didn't even know about it.

V: we are doing flood reporting, quarry design, location how to harvest water, ground water and turkey nest water (catching the runoff water in the Dam). Those are the main things, water demands, floods and trying to finalise the quarry pit, when they are finalised, we can move on.

I have given you a progress document, there are new ones that are added, 60 % on quarry design, flood impact assessment sitting at 20%. The agriculture assessment is new.

Land use confinement risk assessment - a new study since the last meeting. We do listen and when you do bring up concerns we do take it in. We are doing flood assessments based on 100 years, we are trying to capture everything you are saying.

Don: all I want is information from you so we know what you're talking about, if you don't give us the info we don't know how to look at it.

V: we are concerned that if we give you the info too early, we might give you the wrong info then we will need to change it. The flood reporting is to determine where the stockpiles are going.

Don: if you see the creek near my house, you will be surprised how much water goes through

Shane: water was touching the bridge on the highway, from the last bit of rain we got 2 weeks ago

V: ill bring that up to the specialist that's doing the flood report

Wendy: do they take into account climate change, if you look around you'll see all these things, we'll get more rain in the summertime, if you put waste VENM stuff here and if you look at climate change if you are not factoring that in. We've been 35 years and we've seen huge change.

V: I do understand your concern, I am sure there is an allowance that can be made.

Bill: Last meeting regarding access from the highway, If you don't have access, has there been a concept design submitted to RMS?

V: Yes, there has, it has been submitted, not a concept plan but a layout plan that we have issued to you guys.

Bill: what did RMS say?

V: they don't give you a concrete answer but they said yes but need a bit more designs, calculations etc. We are committed 100% to not using Winfarthing road.

Bill: I found it hard to believe you guys are going through with this quarry when you don't have the concrete answer about access, you have 2 lots of movement.

V: when we sat with RMS, we brought to them the studies of the road and we told them if we were to build an intersection we will take a left turn to Goulburn and turn around to Sydney, therefore it is too much truck movement which they don't like, RMS wont give an concrete answer at this early stage.

Shane: we know it's the key thing you need is approval with the RMS, so focus on getting an access first so we don't have to waste our time. So we know how to build things and we know the impact

V: it will be nice if we had a check list.

Wendy: it will make it easier for everyone

Graeme: the problem is actually with the state planning framework. It would be better to have the opportunity for an interim proposal, to get the big picture issues sorted, get tentative approval, then do the detailed design. But the system doesn't work like that.

V: I understand the frustration of the communications. Jeff would you like to comment at this point?

Shane: we have a notice board that we put on it, if you have info put it on it

V: where is the board?

Shane: Behind Darryl's place

Jeff: First of all thank you for the input from tonight, we are looking to move forward the process for you. The first thing I'd like to do is go around the room to know the suggestions you all have, and lets do this one at a time.

Don: More information, water coming down the creek to Narambulla Lake, the water going through there is unbelievable.

Jeff: Can we focus on the process of communications at this point rather than the quarry issues, what would you like to see in the future in terms of how we communicate with each other.

Don: more info

Shane: Information, persistence through the community, Don doesn't have internet, we had to put a notice board up. Even if its once a month and we have updates, at the moment its just Chinese whispers, we need people be be informed. It's a poor performance from state planning. Half the people don't have the internet, they won't know about anything. So, state planning is letting the public down. Some communication with GQ has been pretty good. It's the little things that 'P' everyone off. Even if we have someone to contact, so if we need to contact GHD, we can. You are not mentioning the water issues, and pollution of dust that will go into our water that we drink. Vergilio is doing his best but he gets his info from GHD. Do you guys even know what species are threatened? Why can't you tell us more? There needs to be change, is there any stage that you have someone that can help us with any stage?

Jeff: open and honest communication yes?

Shane: Yes

Jeff: you want a communication channel?

Shane: Yes, face to face, or ring us

Bill: Meeting dates, I need proper confirmation because I come from Newcastle. If the quarry goes ahead, I think GQ heads should come to the meetings, so I know they can be a part of the community, at least show their presence, but I do not get a vibe at all from them. The other meeting, we had Karl from GHD he wasn't interested at all when we had a video call with him.

Jeff: you would like to know the meeting dates, and the senior management to commit

and come down

Graeme: Communication, we haven't had a communication meeting since May 2019, or a newsletter, so there's a lot of Chinese whispers. There needs to be more communication for the people that don't have mobiles or internet. Also, the accuracy in the info we get, I can give you 20-40 inconsistencies with the info we have gotten. We need explanations when something gets changed. For the residents, a lot of people are talking about the dust, noise and pollution. If you go ahead will you do these (suggestions for GQ to fund if their proposal is approved) for our community? When we get the wrong info, we doubt everything about the process. I want honesty and integrity from GQ/GHD

Wendy: we only want a little bit of info, if something gets changed, we understand that's design. But you have a basic thing – you've got to follow through and tick things off. We have list from the federal government, 2 pages of it. We read up on the Spotted Quoll but why can't you? That's all we need you to feed back. Silicosis and dust, silicosis is now a big thing, its second to asbestos

Jeff: So, two way communication and feedback?

Wendy: yes, info on little things

Darrel: the lady from Council mentioned newsletters and flyers, this could be done through Council. The Aboriginal consultation, you must show it to Goulburn. Just communicate better with the relevant groups.

Jeff: you guys have raised a few issues about communications. You want us to be open & honest, would it help you if we develop a set of guidelines?

Don: we need that to go to every person, everyone's mailbox, so they know exactly what is happening.

Vergilio: I can guarantee that.

Jeff: I can't give you a time line or a promise I can't keep, I will develop those guide lines

Don: yeah, information

Jeff: give me a couple weeks. We will get back to you but I don't wanna promise you that, I will get it done as soon as I can, once the committee is comfortable with those guidelines then.

Vergilio: do a draft to the CCC first then issue to the broader community

Ian: thanks for that feedback. Let me check. Jeff will settle the guidelines then we will look at specific actions, including setting dates for the next CCC meetings.

Vergilio: we have a new director come in, we have an investment come in, Gilba development Pty Ltd, they have purchased a share in that, Maykel is still a part of the company, John has stepped down. Maykel is the director and Gilba development

Shane: what his back ground? Can we find out

Vergilio: their background is not in quarry, that's why they won't affect anything they won't attended the meetings, just a silent partner

Bill: is that company mixed in the VNEM

Vergilio: No, they're not

Shane: we did appreciate the meeting, we need the residents to know that, there's gonna be questions that we don't know the answers to in regards to the new director

Graeme: a bit of background of the Aboriginal ownership. They set up an Aboriginal Lands Council, with Wiradjuri people. But the quarry is actually on Gundungarra land. There are 2 groups.

Shane: GHQ need to know who the original owners of the land is.

Wendy: there are 2 people to talk to - Aunty Trish, and Jenny from Goulburn

Wendy: every time we say something we try to help you

Shane: the more information you get the more it will help you,

Graeme: because we had 6 months before our last meeting, I visited some quarries, GQ will gather 6 million saleable rock, if you are selling 6m tons, 3m tons won't be sold.

Vergilio: majority of grades of rock will be sold, even if its C grade it can be used as road base.

Graeme. there are a lot of product that will not be saleable

Vergilio: core drilling, diamond drilling, RC drilling, those we have done in our part and those determine what is saleable or not. We know now that is a top layer that is not saleable, there is sandstone that is saleable before we get to the aggerate

Shane: the unsaleable, can you still use it?

Vergilio: yes, if we can use it we I will

Shane: Footpath, can we use it as a footpath for the community

Vergilio: yeah if the product meets standards then yes

Shane: Holcim do huge work here in Marulan. They support kids in the soccer, they do all that

Vergilio: Shane we will look at doing all those things. If it goes ahead, we will always be with the community and keep you in the loop. We do want to help you and work with you, so we are all happy and all benefiting from it.

Graeme. Big quarries are doing environmental impact declarations, thinking about ecological impact, reducing the carbon emission by 20-30%. Last thing, is anyone recording this meeting? The minutes are so detailed.

Wendy: mines in the hunter valley, 23 of them, have now said they can't afford to the clean-up in the quarries, replace the top soil, protect species that are endangered. So I'm wondering what you guys are doing, the cost would be \$11-\$23.5 Billion dollars. Those places will now have to be paid for by government. What are you doing? You will need to get seeds from the trees, flowers to help it with the regrowth when putting back the topsoil.

Shane: before you clear it, collect as much seed as you can gather so we can regenerate

Vergilio: first we need to know what we will be clearing before we rehabilitate

Shane: on the website you say GQ is a leading quarry services. You guys never had quarry in your life. Across the board, GHD started on the wrong foot at the very beginning. They put the community offside. We want to start fresh, tell GHD we are not here to hinder anything. If there are any

questions, please bring them up. They need to realise that we live there, and they need to work with us.

Jeff: Do you guys require a single point of contact

Shane: yes just a single contact would be great.

Don: we don't want you telling only one person here, we want you to tell everyone here and or on the notice board and mailbox.

Wendy: not every time but when you get something important, it needs to be communicated in the right way. If you can't tell us anything then tell us you don't know. Tell us that it's not complete and that way it gives us a little bit of useful information,

Shane: even if it's a monthly thing on the notice board.

Ian: in terms of the CCC meeting, should we wait until November?

Graeme- No

Don: people know we are coming to the meeting so they will ask us questions, we need to give people answers.

Jeff: let's get the general communication arrangements right before moving on

Ian: we will hold back from setting a next meeting for now

Bill: lets have a site meeting and bring all the heavies along. Yes, an on-site instead of a hall meeting.

Ian: Thanks everyone, we shall bring this meeting to a close then, and advise soon when the next meeting will happen once the communication arrangements get settled.

Seventh Meeting

Action 1: Ian to make a couple of revisions to the names in the previous minutes (Completed)

Action 2: Add these further items to the actions from Meeting 6: Karl to update bushfire assessment, and include the stockpiles on the quarry map, and add the right hand turn exit onto the map with the stockpiles).

Sixth Meeting

Action 1: VS check for inconsistencies and gaps in the information document handed out last meeting (such as contradictory statements on the trig station).

Action 2 – VS to supply the visibility study when completed

Action 3 – VS to send a map of the leased area. (Completed)

Fifth Meeting

Action 1 VS to consider meeting with NOW Inc, subject to Covid advice.

Action 2 (this action item rephrased for clarity) VS to supply its local contact list to NOW and to contact people to participate in the second SIA.

Third Meeting

Action 1 GQ to decide a suitable time for early notice of information to CCC before formal submission of the EIS. (Completed)

First Meeting

Action 4 GQ will make sure that no one is on the land shooting. (From sixth meeting – VS to strongly remind the lessees of their responsibilities). (Completed)

Action 6 The EIS report will be made available when completed.

Action 8 GQ will clarify power source to members.

Action 9 GQ to provide details of insurance once approval is granted.